What *is* brewing?
The brewing process of coffee consists of cooking the ground beans, which plays a key role in extracting the flavor and antioxidants from the coffee we consume. The brewing process combines science and technology to create the perfect cup of java. Picking the right beans is the most important factor in brewing. N4L’s Organic Antioxidant Rich Coffee includes specialty-grade whole arabica beans that are high in antioxidants and natural compounds to produce the freshest cup with a unique flavor profile.
Roasting the beans at a high temperature of around 200°C is highly important in reducing the level of acrylamides, chlorogenic acids, and aldehydes that naturally build up in coffee beans.1 These compounds can contribute to an overly bitter taste, so this step in the brewing process is center focus at N4L. Brewing not only impacts flavor, but also preserves the beneficial antioxidants in the coffee.
Simple Guide to Brewing 2
- Use clean, fresh, chemical-free water, such as pure spring water.
- Grind the coffee to match your brewing method, whether for use in a French press, an espresso machine, or some other method.
- Use the recommended coffee-to-water ratio for your brew method. A commonly used ratio is 18-22 grams ground coffee per 350 ml water, which is roughly 4-5 tablespoons of whole bean coffee.
- Use a method with a paper filter if cholesterol is a concern to your health. Using a paper filter can help reduce cafestol levels, a diterpene that can raise cholesterol levels in the blood, while also allowing the caffeine and beneficial antioxidants to pass through. 3
- Brew using water between 195⁰-205⁰F (92⁰-96⁰C) for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Always keep brewing equipment clean.
- Store coffee in an airtight container away from light, heat and moisture.
Top 3 Techniques
Understanding the brewing process and the best ways to brew can enhance the benefits and flavors of your coffee. The steps of brewing are simple and easy to follow whether you are a beginner or know your way around the coffee bar. To check out Nutrition for Longevity’s Antioxidant Rich Coffee and more delicious and healthy extras, visit the N4L Marketplace. Happy brewing!
- Shaunak A. Coffee: The Science Behind Brewing. Coffee | The Science Behind Brewing. https://www.foodunfolded.com/article/brewing-coffee-the-science-behind-the-make-and-taste. Accessed December 30, 2020.
- Purity Coffee. Brewing Guide. Purity Coffee. https://puritycoffee.com/brewing-guide/. Published March 17, 2018. Accessed December 30, 2020.
- Gunnars K. 8 Ways to Make Your Coffee Super Healthy. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/8-ways-to-make-your-coffee-super-healthy. Published August 20, 2020. Accessed December 30, 2020.
- Stone, * N. Which Coffee Grinder is The Best: Burr or Blade? CoffeeArea.org. https://www.coffeearea.org/which-coffee-grinder-is-the-best-burr-or-blade/. Published March 4, 2020. Accessed December 30, 2020.
- Flores G. Coffee Brewing. coffee beans. http://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/brewing.htm. Accessed December 30, 2020.