These vegan pigs in a blanket are so easy to make and they're the perfect game day appetizer or snack. Carrots replace hot dogs in this healthy update of pigs in a blanket. Soaking the carrot "dogs" in a smoky marinade is the key to giving them that flavor, for a vegan app meat-eaters will love too. Serve with dipping honey mustard or ranch dressing to take these to the next level.
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp tamari
- ½ tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 roll vegan puff pastry
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan with a steamer basket. Add carrots, cover and steam until tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Whisk broth, vinegar, tamari, mustard, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add steamed carrots, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain the carrots, pat dry. Cut puff pastry dough into equally sized pieces. Place a carrot on a piece of dough and roll up. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining carrots.
- Bake until golden, 12-14 minutes.