Did you know that both honeydew and watermelon are made up of 90% water. These two fruits are a simple and easy way to help keep hydrated to during the hot summer months. Watermelon contains an abundance of vitamins and minerals. It is also packed with carotenoids including beta-carotene and lycopene which are beneficial antioxidants. Honeydew is an excellent source of Vitamin C providing over 50% of your daily recommended intake per cup. Honeydew also provides a moderate amount of fiber which is known to help improve digestive health. Due to the moderate fiber content, it may be better tolerated than high-fiber foods for those with digestive disorders.
Prep Time: 50 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Servings: 8 cups
- ½ of a 5 pound watermelon, rind removed
- ½ of a cantaloupe, seeded and peeled
- ½ of honeydew melon, seeded and peeled
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons roasted pistachios, shelled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
Optional Ingredients: Mix with a bed of fresh spring mix or spinach to add more nutrients and fiber to you diet.
- Preheat grill.
- Cut watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew into 1 inch thick wedges (they’ll be cut smaller prior to serving.) Place on a plate and drizzle with white balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Grill melons on medium heat for 2 minutes and turning once. Once there are caramelized grill marks, place fruit back on plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain any excess liquid collected on the plate.
- Cut melons into 1-inch cubes or bite-sized pieces and place into a bowl. Top with pistachios and basil. Enjoy!