Have you heard about Soba Noodles? We LOVE them here at Nutrition for Longevity. Soba noodles are popular in Japanese cuisine and have a similar shape to spaghetti. These noodles can be eaten hot or cold and have a rich, earthy flavor. One cup of noodles contains 6 grams of protein. It is rich in manganese, thiamin (vitamin B1) and soluble fiber. Authentic soba noodles are made from 100 percent buckwheat flour, which despite the name, is actually gluten free.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour Servings: 5
- 1/2 cup Asian eggplant, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon tamari
- 1/4 pound buckwheat soba noodles
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, torn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Include any additional vegetables or swap out any vegetables for your favorites.
- Light the grill and allow to heat. Brush eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill eggplant over moderate heat, only turning once, until tender and lightly charred (approximately 6 minutes). Transfer the eggplant to a plate and let cool.
- In a small pan on the stovetop, toast pine nuts over a moderate heat. Toss until golden and fragrant, approximately 3-4 minutes and transfer to a plate and let cool. Watch carefully so the pine nuts don't burn!
- In a food processor or blender, combine pine nuts, basil, garlic and pulse until finely chopped. While the food processor is running, slowly pour in the 1/2 cup of olive oil in a steady stream. Add tamari and pulse to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
- On the stovetop, fill pot 3/4 way full with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook soba noodles approximately 6-7 minutes. Rinse noodles under cold water, drain, and pat dry.
- In a large bowel, toss noodles with pesto until evenly coated. Add grilled eggplant, tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, mint leaves and toss well. Enjoy!