Love is in the air with Valentine’s Day right around the corner. We’ve been talking about heart health this month, an important component of which is spending time with loved ones. We thought it’d be appropriate to share a heart-healthy date night recipe, that you can make with that special someone.
Simple, delicious, and filled with vegetables, this Heart Healthy Date Night Bolognese will surely impress this Valentine’s Day!
Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 35 minutes | Servings: 2
- 1 lb White Button Mushrooms, divided
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- ⅔ cup Carrots, minced
- ⅔ cup Celery, minced
- ½ lb Asparagus, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ cup Dry White Wine
- ½ cup Cashew or Oat Milk
- 1 cup Crushed Tomatoes
- 8oz Gluten Free Pasta
- Nutritional yeast (optional)
- Divide the mushrooms. Mince half of them and roughly chop the other half.
- Add the olive oil to a large pot and heat on medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced and chopped mushrooms and chopped asparagus and cook until mushrooms begin to give up water, about 1 minute. Stir in the nutmeg, salt, and pepper
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine.
- Stir in the cashew milk and canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions while waiting for sauce. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water before draining
- Add the reserved pasta water to the sauce and stir. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Toss the pasta with the safe. Serve and garnish with nutritional yeast if desired.