Choosing the Best Apple
The best apples are the ones that are in season. Out-of-season apples are kept in storage, which affects their freshness, crispness, and juiciness.
- Look for firm apples with no bruises or holes and an intact stem.
- Unripe apples will be overly hard and too green or yellow for their variety.
- Fresh, ripe apples will have a shiny exterior and strong apple aroma.
Know Your Flavor Profile
Do you like a sweet, tart, or subtle flavor? Do you prefer crisp, juicy, or crunchy? Each apple has a unique flavor profile ranging from sweet to tart. Knowing your preferred flavor can help you pick the best apple!
From baking to biting into, different varieties of apples have different strengths. Choose the variety that best fits your needs. Are you tossing apples into a salad, eating a quick snack, baking, or freezing them?
Now that you've picked the perfect apple, be sure to store it properly to keep them fresh.
- Refrigerate for short-term storage.
- Freeze for long-term storage.
- For apple slices: toss in lemon juice to prevent browning!
Need some apple inspiration? Check out these N4L apple recipes!