Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 15 minutes. ( makes about 4 servings)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (about 12 ounces), stems and greens separated, stems sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces, greens coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Greens from 1 bunch beets, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups greens)
- 3 teaspoons white wine or Champagne vinegar
- Heat a large skillet over medium and toast walnuts, shaking pan often, until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Transfer nuts to a plate.
- Heat same skillet over medium and add oil and butter, stirring to combine. Once butter melts, add onion and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent in color, about 5 minutes. Add Swiss chard stems and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes more. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add Swiss chard greens, beet greens, vinegar, and salt/pepper to taste. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally with tongs, until tender, about 3–4 minutes. Uncover and cook 1 minute more. Serve topped with toasted walnuts.