Wow your family this Mother’s Day by preparing this super simple oat waffle recipe topped with berry puree! These waffles are egg free, oil free, dairy free, and gluten free, while being so simple to prepare that anyone in the family can lend a hand to make this year’s Mothers Day brunch special. The star of these waffles is the rolled oats rich in soluble fiber, which can decrease the rate of glucose absorption into the bloodstream and help you stay fuller longer. One cup of cooked rolled oats provides 4 grams of total fiber.1 The daily goal for fiber intake is 25 grams for women and 38 grams for men. So whip out your waffle iron and enjoy this simple waffle recipe with its easy mixed berry puree topping that’s sure to please any family!
For berry puree:
- 2 cups fresh berries of your choice
- Suggestion: strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries
- Optional ½ tablespoon of honey
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseeds
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened vanilla oat milk ( or almond milk)
- 1/3 cup mashed bananas
- Vegan chocolate chips (optional)
For the berry puree:
- Simply add 2 cups of berries of your choice into a blender or food processor and blend into a smooth puree. Add honey for extra sweetness if desired. Set aside in a serving bowl to begin preparing the waffles.
For the waffles:
- Combine oats, flax seeds, lemon zest, and cinnamon in a food processor or blender. Blend until ingredients form powder constancy.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl. Stir in the milk and mashed banana until moistened. Don’t worry! The batter is supposed to be fairly thick. (this helps the waffles hold their shape)
- Preheat a nonstick waffle iron. Pour/ scoop the batter into the iron and close the lid quickly. Cook according to waffle iron directions.
- Use a fork to lift the waffle off the iron grid & repeat with the remaining batter. Spoon mixed berry puree onto warm waffles. Top with extra berries of your choice (and vegan chocolate chips) for the perfect Mother’s Day brunch!
- Oatmeal 101: Health Benefits and Cooking Tips - PA Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics. PA Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics. https://eatrightpa.org/members/blog/oatmeal-101-health-benefits-and-cooking-tips/. Published 2021. Accessed April 15, 2021.