An exclusive recipe direct from The Longevity Diet book and Dr. Valter Longo1.
Pasta e vaianeia
1 cup navy beans, rinsed and drained
1.5 cups green beans, washed, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 medium potato, cubed
1 cup zucchini, sliced
1 large tomato
2 cloves garlic, cut in half
5 leaves basil
½ cup dry pasta, any shape
2 tablespoons of N4L Olive Oil
Salt, to taste
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, optional
- Bring 3-4 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt to the water and soak the navy beans.
- When the beans are tender, add the green beans and carrots. Boil the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Add the potato and boil for another 15 minutes. After 15 minutes have passed, add the zucchini and boil for another 5 minutes.
- Next, add the whole tomato and boil until it is tender, then smash it with a fork or potato masher and remove the loose skin from the pot. Add the garlic, basil, and pasta and cook according to the instructions on the packaging.
- When the pasta is cooked to al dente add the olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper. Stir until evenly mixed and heated through. Serve warm and enjoy!
Suggested side dish: Salad with mixed greens with tomatoes, carrots, corn and cucumber seasoned with olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon
Suggested dessert: ¼ cup of hazelnuts and ½ of dried blueberries
1. Dr Valter, L., 2016. The Longevity Diet. Penguin Random House LLC, p.234.