The days are getting warmer and that means a classic summer fruit is going to make a grand appearance -- Watermelon! Watermelon is such a staple at picnics and barbecues. Everyone loves the red flesh of a watermelon, but it’s rind is normally forgotten about. Did you know the rind is actually edible? Here’s a yummy stir fry recipe to use your watermelon rind and reduce your food waste!
- 2 cups watermelon rind, julienned
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1 inch of ginger, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ cup chives, diced
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon vegan fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Use a large frying pan or wok and heat sesame oil over high heat. Add the watermelon rind and carrots and stir constantly for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chives and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup (or honey), tamari sauce, vegan fish sauce, garlic and ginger.
- Pour the sauce over the watermelon rind and continue to cook, stirring, 30 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Add the basil, cilantro, and mint and toss to combine.
- Serve as a side dish or plate with ½ cup of rice and a protein of your choice!