This recipe is a take on the well-known penne vodka dish! This plant based version will shock your taste buds!
- 12 ounces of gluten free penne pasta
- Water for boiling pasta
- 1/2 Tablespoon salt (for pasta water)
- 3/4 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1/;2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup water (for soaking)
- Add the cashews into a large bowl, cover them with water and let soak.
- Bring a pot of water to boil on the stovetop, add the salt.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat then add the olive oil and onions. Cook until they are tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes. tomato paste, and salt, then bring that to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cover, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta into the boiling pasta water. Follow the directions on the package of pasta you are using. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and drain pasta.
- Drain the cashews and add them into a blender along with the nutritional yeast and 1 cup of water. Blend until smooth.
- Add in the cashew mixture to the pink sauce and stir. Add in the reserved pasta water and mix.
- Add in the cooked pasta and stir until evenly coated in the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Leftovers can stay in the fridge for up to 4 days, the sauce can be frozen for up to a month!